3.14.2006

Mucho gusto frijoles...

So I’m sitting at work this afternoon, browsing news articles on the Internet, when Aaron Babyar from the Grove (my church) calls me. He starts talking about how the Grove is sending a group of people to Mexico this week and that they need some help with something. “Oh great” I think, “They want me to get up and talk at church”. I guess I thought this because they’ve asked me to do it before. For those of you who don’t know me that well, this will never happen. I don’t do public speaking. I would rather have a King Cobra bite.

Luckily, Aaron’s request had nothing to do with any sort of public speaking or poisonous snakes. It seems that one of the team members had to back out of the trip at the last second and they needed someone to fill the slot. While I was honored to have been considered for the trip, I declined. I’m a grown up now, with a wife and a job and things to do, I can’t go gallivanting across the continent at a moment’s notice. I called my wife to tell her about the offer and she said ARE YOU KIDDING? GO! I got the same response from my boss (dad). So I called Aaron back.

I’m going to Mexico the day after tomorrow, and I found out today.

I’m really excited to get to see Mark and Roxanne (the missionaries) again. I stayed with them for a month back in 2003 and really got to know them. Y’all need to keep Jacqueline in your prayers this next week since she’ll be alone from Thursday until the next Saturday, ten days! That’s the longest we’ve been apart since we were married.

By the way, “Mucho gusto frijoles” was something that I kept saying over and over again during my first trip to Mexico whenever my host family offered beans. I thought it meant, “Yes, I like beans a lot”. Now I know that it means, “It’s a pleasure to meet you Beans”. Won’t be making that mistake again.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

yeah!!!!! spread the love to all you see. give petronila the biggest hug from me. i'm so glad to hear your news.

Brett said...

I totally forgot about the origin of that phrase... it made me laugh again when I read your account of it.

rachel said...

spencer i'm so glad you chose to go. the trip would not have been nearly as cool without you! and i just looked at all your pictures and they're AMAZING. you have quite the talent. thanks so much for taking so many!