7.07.2006

Superman's Dead

WARNING:
If you haven't seen Superman Returns yet and don't want any spoilers, STOP READING NOW! I'm going to talk about the movie and give a major plot point away.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Lets begin.
So I went to see Superman Returns with Jacqueline and my parents tonight. I've been waiting for this movie for months and am quite the Supes fan. Sadly, I left the movie feeling slighted. Thanks to one glaring fault in the plot line, the whole character of Superman falls apart. Here's what I thought of it.
I'll start off with the good points by stating that the movie is absolutely stunning from an aesthetic standpoint. The effects are awe inspiring and the cinematography is thoughtful and well executed. They couldn't have found a better man for the lead character, Brandon Routh is the spitting image of Reeve, especially as Kent. He did seem a little young for the role, but I didn't feel that it was all that distracting. Superman's character was done well, Brandon did a good job portraying the soft spoken hero. Kevin Spacy is the icing on the cake, perfecting Luthor.
As much as I want to love this movie, I can't. Anyone who follows the comics, even a little, knows that Superman is different from the rest of the superheros. While it's true that he's more powerful than the rest of the DC heros (or the Marvel heros for that matter) his main strength has always been his spotless moral code. Superman stands for what is good and pure in all instances. If this is true, (last chance to avoid spoilers) WHY DOES HE HAVE A CHILD OUT OF WEDLOCK? Superman returns to metropolis to find Lois in a relationship with a live in boyfriend and a child, which is all fine and good since Lois is indeed mortal and imperfect. Later, we find out that the child is really Superman's, a product of a steamy night "spent with Superman" as Lois puts it in her article. Regardless of what your personal views are of extramarital relationships, no real fan of Superman should swallow this as something he would do or is even capable of. Batman sure, but never Superman. Even worse, DC gave them the green light on this and Dan Harris wrote the screenplay! Is this supposed to be canon now? What about Clark marrying Lois like in the comics? Do we forget that? What did DC have to gain from creating a bastard Superboy and scandalous Superman? Is this all just a cheap ploy to make an easy jump off point for a sequel? Not that I wouldn't watch it.

No comments: